Texts

Note that for Winter 2018 we will use the (new) 5th edition of Krugman & Wells.

1. Marc Levinson, An Extraordinary Time: The End of the Postwar Boom and the Return of the Ordinary Economy, Basic Books, November 2016. ISBN-10: 0465061982 (ISBN-13: 978-0465061983). Amazon link at $15.25 prime for me, today. The W&L bookstore is $21.

I listened to the Audible recorded book version early this summer. Kindle & paper versions are better for being able to find/reread sections, so I've ordered my own hard copy to re-read (and re-re-read) before relevant classes.

2. Paul Krugman and Robin Wells, Macroeconomics (4th ed.), Worth Publishers, April 2015. ISBN-10: 1464110379 (ISBN-13: 978-1464110375).
    • Macmillan Krugman & Wells Macro takes you to the textbook page and HERE jumps you to the Macmillan student bookstore page. Their prices appear to be cheaper than Amazon or the W&L Bookstore ($181.50 used).
    • I just sat through a webinar by Macmillan, there are some good add-ons. However the bookstore has already received used copies without any of the add-ons. I will let you know at the start of the term if I work out reasonably priced options for LaunchPad or other such online components.
      • just the Looseleaf which gives you an eBook version that you can print
      • the LaunchPad option includes an eBook. LaunchPad looks quite useful, I urge you to consider this option
      • the slightly more expensive FlipIt + Launchpad + Looseleaf Sheets lets you print out chapters as needed, at 5¢ a page that's cheaper than buying the physical book, esp as you won't need the first few chapters that review Micro
      • Sapling is a fairly sophisticated homework/quiz function, you actually have to think about many of the answers. If you find such tools useful, it's not a big cost increment.